Tuesday 4 December 2012

The End of the AffairThe End of the Affair by Graham Greene
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

And infinite stars if only I could give it. I am completely moved by Sarah's character and also completely in love with Sarah's perception of love and can feel almost everything happening in the novel as if it is happening with me. Her spirituality and faith and beliefs are tremendously beautiful. Graham's writing undoubtedly is powerful in moving, influencing and leaving a strong impact on its readers. A must read for 'The God' lovers, 'Love' lovers and 'Romantic' lovers.

Though, Bendrix's love appealed somewhat sympathetic to me. It was selfish and can easily turn into hate. Poignantly Bendrx chooses hate (too earthly) and is alive at the end of the novel, but Sarah chooses love (divine) and dies.

Though there is nothing in the book which can't be quoted or doesn't hold any significance but still following are my one of the favorite quotes:

"...the moment of absolute trust and absolute pleasure, the moment when it was impossible to quarrel because it was impossible to think."

"It's a strange thing to discover and to believe that you are loved, when you know that there is nothing in you for anybody but a parent or a God to love."
Now just imagine how miserably he craves for Sarah's love and he must be feeling after having it.

This one gives a shiver down my spine:
" Sometimes I get so tired of trying to convince him that I love him and shall love him forever. He pounces on my words like a barrister and twists them. I know he is afraid of that desert which would be around him if our love were to end, but he can’t realize that I feel exactly the same. What he says aloud, I say to myself silently and write it here. What can one build in the desert? Sometimes after a day when we have made love many times, I wonder whether it isn’t possible to come to an end of sex, and I know he is wondering too and is afraid of that point where the desert begins. What do we do in the desert if we lose each other? How does one go on living after that?"


"...had fallen asleep against my shoulder as so many times, in taxis...I sat still and let her be... The slowly growing pain in my upper arm where her weight lay was the greatest pleasure I had ever known."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment